Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Three Days of the Greatest Week

Three days there are which tower over
The finest days of time;
The days Christ died and rose again,
God’s work of love so prime!

Fierce nails pierced through His hands and feet, --
They nailed Him to a cross;
His lashed back and crown of thorns
How deep His pain and loss!

Instruments of death these were,
But could not take His life;
Instead He gave all up for me,
My children and my wife!

With Him in death two thieves that day,
Three crosses side by side;
One mocked and died in unbelief,
But one for mercy cried.

His plea was heard, and Jesus said,
With words both kind and pure,
“With me today in Paradise --
Your future is secure!”

Now on the Cross His work all done,
“It’s finished!” Jesus said;
His spirit He dismissed at once,
His body truly dead!

Keen friends then take His body down
And lay it in a tomb;
Throughout the sabbath day it stays
In that cold, stony room.

Though final all now thought His death,
No faith! No hope! No cheer!
No enemy could hold Him back,
He promised to reappear!

The long night past, and then the dawn
Of Resurrection day!
In triumph He arose, Who is
The Life, the Truth, the Way!

On these three days my Savior did
What none could ever do;
He paid the debt of all my sin,
And death He conquered, too!

I’m glad today, so very glad
For those days long ago,
Because the Gospel I've believed,
The Savior I now know!

This greatest blessing on life's way,
No secret to you and me,
Is meant for all who want Him, too,
Believe! And you will see!

-- Poet Les

1 comment:

Dan said...

Very nice poem, Papa. Is this a new poem or one that you wrote some time ago?