Wednesday, January 2, 2008

My New Year's wish from Art Zee....

1-02-08
To PapaPops,
This has been a very busy few weeks for my wife and me. At Thanksgiving we welcomed guests from several States. Then we began to prepare for Christmas, with another family gathering at that time. I’m sure you know what that’s all about – gifts to buy and wrap, a tree to bring in and decorate, a cantata to prepare for, and present, in the Church Choir, and…!

Here’s something that’s a bit unusual for me, -- I sat down to write a few lines of poetry for one of our dear friends that came to see us. What do you think of this? –

Friend, it’s so great to welcome you today,
Where you live is to us, so very far away;
But now we can meet and catch up on “old times,”
Sing a few songs, and make a few rhymes!
We can eat here today, with family and friends,
Enjoying old favorites, establishing new trends,
Knowing the value of direct communication,
Whether home every day, or on a vacation!
-- yours truly, Art Zee

What do you think of that? Did I do Ok for a “beginner?”

Although the time has been busy, it’s been good. Isn’t that the way with you? For us, it’s especially great to get together with some of the family members that we don’t see often, and even some old friends. We never know, at our ages, just how many more times we have, do we?!?

Speaking of that, I do apologize to you for getting a little testy, my friend, when I wrote you over a month ago. It’s really quite unsettling to consider the shortness of life, isn’t it, especially after retiring, and realizing that we’re “winding down,” in our lives now. There are so many interesting things to do, and places to go, that I can’t imagine how anyone deals with the aging that seems to come to people in their last years, with illness and even severe limitations…. “Last years” makes me shudder! Doesn’t it do that to you?

I think you really meant it when you said, “I certainly do not pretend to be better than others, nor to have any special ‘in’ with God….” Perhaps I was a little hasty, -- didn’t mean to accuse you, really. Please accept my apology.

You also wrote, “I know that when I complete my earthly journey, I will be at home with the Lord. …I have NOT worked for it, because I couldn’t succeed in a million years, and neither can anyone else.” I do admire you and appreciate your work, PapaPops, and would think that if anyone can earn a heavenly home in the “great beyond,” it would be you.

How can you say that you couldn’t do that “in a million years?” Haven’t you given you life to serve God? Then shouldn’t you expect Him to give you some reward for that? When I had a very devoted employee in my business in the past, one who had been with me for a long time and did good work, I made it a point to give that person some special recognition. Is God like that, with those that work for Him?

And now I wish you a very HAPPY NEW YEAR!
-- Art

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy for you and Art .. 2008 is a new beginning. I enjoy your blog, photos and your poetry! As I have said before, you are a man of many talents. Happy New Year to you and Mary. God Bless .... Connie