Friday, November 2, 2007

Art asks about the End of the World

Hello, PapaPops,
Here’s what I’ve been doing, -- my wife and I attended a Portland Symphony Concert, and it was wonderful! Then I dug out some old classic books, and did a little reading. One was Pilgrim’s Progress, -- remember that? It was right in the midst of our library selections, jut waiting to be picked up. It reminded me somewhat of the things you were writing about in your last letter to me. It’s quite mysterious though, isn’t it – strange names for characters and places – “Hopeful,” “City of Destruction,” “Slough of Despond,” etc.?!?

The other classic book I’ve started recently is In His Steps, by Charles Sheldon. That’s quite famous, too, isn’t it? Seems to me that it has something to do with acting today like Jesus might act, in various situations, if He were here in the world, as we are. Is that about right? In fact, I’ve just done a little searching, and find that this book, written in 1896 was, by one hundred years later, the tenth most-read book in the world. Amazing! It seems to have an odd twist to it – a tramp comes to church, speaks to the congregation, and then dies there! Don’t know whether I’ll get through it or not, but at least I’ve started. I think my wife said that she read it, many years ago.

No, we’ve done no traveling recently, but next Spring we may “pull up stakes,” and set out. Bryce Canyon sounds good. Would you recommend it, PapaPops? And Pike’s Peak must be magnificent, too, especially if you see it from the right spot! And what about the Grand Canyon? And Yellowstone National Park, etc., etc?

As far as a new career is concerned, I don’t think I’m ready for that yet. Too many things to do, and I want to go at my own pace, at least for awhile. Then of course there are the “Honey, do” lists. I suppose you know all about them!?!

Here’s something I’ve been thinking about – when will the end of the world happen – in our lifetime? And under what circumstances will this happen? I’ve heard some rumblings that sound pretty ominous. Have you? It just occurred to me that perhaps you’ve made a study of this for your preaching work. Does God have a plan to bring about the end of the world? Or is it possible that mankind will cause such a thing to happen by improper and undisciplined uses of power, such as nuclear power? What can you tell me about this?

It really is scary, isn’t it, when you think of the countries that have large armies? And then of course, there are so many countries now that either have missiles with possible nuclear warheads on them, or are working on getting them “as we speak!” What’s the world coming to, anyway???

Now, PapaPops, I’m not interested in just a lot of speculation about these matters. But if you can give me some reliable and trustworthy information about future happenings, I’d like to know about it.

Thank you very much. And “so long” for now!
Your friend, -- Art

No comments: