Sunday, August 26, 2007

A Reply to Art, My Old Friend

Dear Art,
Thank you so much for your reply to my Open Letter to you. Isn’t this amazing?!? Most people don’t write letters much now, but here we are sending off these missives to each other!

Hearing from you again felt like old times! We surely have taken diverse paths in many ways, but I still have a warmth in my heart for you, an old and dear friend. I am interested in you, your family, and your prospects for the future. I hope you can sense my sincerity in saying that, – I wouldn’t kid you in something like this.

To comment on your assertion that Earth is an amazing place, I heartily agree. And it takes us a good part of our lives to fully appreciate that, doesn’t it, if indeed, we can ever FULLY do! To me, Planet Earth is part of the rich, harmonious, multi-faceted provision of our great Creator God, for the use of mankind for as long as it pleases Him.

It sustains life in part because of the precision of its size, shape, distance from the sun, and its tilt and rotation, as well as the abundance of natural resources and the variety and complexity of plant and animal life, marine life, etc. But one of the most amazing aspects is the high degree to which it is suited for the habitation of mankind!

Art, my work in the ministry involves helping people in all the ways envisioned in the love that God has for mankind, as expressed so beautifully in John 3:16. Do you remember that Scripture verse? It has often been called “The Gospel in a Nutshell,” and it reads, “For God so loved the world [men, women, boys, and girls everywhere] that He gave His only [i.e. His Uniquely-begotten] Son, that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have [now] everlasting life.”

You congratulated me in the work I’ve been able to do, and I thank you for that. What matters most to me every day is this, -- I want to know and do the will of Almighty God more and more perfectly in the few short years that I may have left here on earth. And I aim to help others find that kind of meaning in their lives, too, as much as possible.

Art, I don’t mean to boast in any way about the value of the work that I’ve been able to do, in comparison to your business career. In reply to your comment that perhaps my work has been more valuable in life than what you have done, I wouldn’t make that kind of a comparison.

The work of the Pastor, Bible teacher, and Missionary, i.e. those involved in the so-called “full-time” ministry of the Gospel is very important in the eternal scheme of things. But all types of work that are wholesome, above-board and ethical in every way are also of great importance and value. Where would we be without manufacturers, distributors, medical people, inventors, accountants, retail personnel, musicians, and a host of others? As I like to think of it (in the words of Scripture), “whether you eat, or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God!”

So I applaud you in the business role that you have played in your working career. I would like to think that you have aimed day by day, in the office, or in the client’s place of commerce, to seek for God’s plan, and to carry on your business as a trustee of God’s provisions. All that we are and have has come from Him. And it seems to me that it ought to be handled in ways that please Him, and further His plan for our lives. Is that your idea, too, my friend?

Now you wrote some of your thoughts and feelings about getting older and losing strength and mental sharpness perhaps, and all the downside aspects that any one may experience due to aging. And you said that you don’t like to think about that more than necessary. Then your question to me was, “Do you?”

No, I’d have to admit that I don’t relish that thought at all. On the other hand, I think I’m a realist about this, too. We were all born as babies, perfect but completely immature, so that everything has to be done for us at first. It seems reasonable that toward the end of life here on earth, much might have to be done for us also, since we are losing the strength and skills we were “building up” as we grew from infancy.

Perhaps you may think, “Oh I just want to keep a good healthy walk throughout life, and then expire peacefully in my sleep.” But, Art, my friend, we all know that no one can consider that to be a guaranteed prospect! What will make our last days on earth more tolerable is, -- if we know where we are going at death, and that we will be part of a Grand Re-union someday. That fills my heart with joy, in the face of all the heartaches and sorrows to which we can be subject here on Planet Earth.

And yes, the sort of “solid hope” that you asked about IS possible, Art. I wouldn’t lead you astray about that, for the world! My basis for writing as I do is not wishful thinking. It goes to the heart of the one and only Book that our great Creator God has given us as His “Divine Owner’s Manual,” the Bible.

Friend Art, I’m going to risk doing a little probing at this point: Have you spent some time in your own life with this Book, looking for answers to life’s most important questions? Personally, I have found answers in it that are truly satisfying. And I believe that you could find them there, too. Please know that I don’t speak with any sense of superior attainment on my part, but only with the desire to depend humbly on the Lord my God for wisdom as to how I can be of the greatest encouragement to you. I have received so-o-o much from the Lord throughout my years, and now I want to pass it on to you, if you are willing!

Well, it’s now time to “sign off.” I look forward to your return thoughts.
Sincerely, -- PapaPops

No comments: